Tuesday, September 18, 2012

POST #7: DAY 3784 OF DOGSCAPE

They came around... noonish, I guess? They brought us piles of liquified Flesh, with dog eyes as an appetizer. I had no choice but to eat it. The dog eyes were still alive. They were seeing... not for long. I hate the way they feel, I hate the way they taste, especially when you break the white outer coating and let the inner liquids leak out. It tastes like shit. Bitter shit. And that's when I'm not thinking about what they actually are. The liquified Flesh... eh, not as bad as the eyes, but I'd've liked pure water better. Hell, even Fishwater.

"This tastes like shit." Terri spat out the eyes she was given. They lay a mashed pile on the floor, slowly getting assimilated by the dogs.

"That's what I was thinking." I put my plate and cup on the table... both were made of dog bone, btw. Gross, but effective. "So... what brought you here? Your brother, you mentioned?"

"Yeah. My brother moved down here when he grew up. He came down here to study at the University of Minnesota. My family and I lived way up in northern Alaska."

"No kidding..."

"Yeah. Back before this shit happened, we had a small, peaceful community, you had some very short days and we could make it to the Boreal Forest in under three hours if we put our minds and boat to it."

"That sounds pretty cool."

"It was. My brother, Richard, contacted me, saying that there was Dogflesh taking over Minneapolis. I didn't believe him. It took the goddam thing four years to get to where I lived. When it hit, I decided to get down here and help my brother. When he said he had to go retrieve supplies, he was ambushed by a group of these reptilian bastards. He gave me a satchel and told me to run. I shot as many of the Lizardmen as I could before I left. I don't know if he's okay or not..." She looked down mournfully and was silent for a while. Then we talked again. Life before... life during... our aspirations... or thoughts. To be honest, even in this desperate time I enjoyed having someone to talk to. It felt comforting.

The Lizardmen came in again after a while, accompanied by the Halfling. He said we were going to be brought to the chamber by tomorrow morning.

Just great.

I've finally got another human being to talk to, and I have only 18 hours left to live. Fan-fucking-tastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment